About Me

My photo
I am a stay at home mom who finds little snippets of time to craft and create.

Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Saturday, October 22, 2011

Uh Oh jar - Day 72


I was told that when your child turns three you need to change up your disipline routine. So I have been listening to the Love & Logic theory and it is working so far. You are supposed to give empathy before you give them the problem. They are supposed to solve the problem, not you. It creates problem solvers. So say Ben ripped a book page. I would say "Uh oh! That is too bad the page is ripped! That is a real bummer!" Then I would introduce the problem and say "What will you do to fix it?" Then he has to find a solution. He doesn't always think of something so then I give him to solutions. One would be to use tape, or to take money from his piggy bank to replace it. So in case I can't think of two options I made a "Uh Oh" jar with extra chores in it. This way he just gets a chore. This is probably for little things like too much whining or throwing a fit. Things that need to be addressed, but where time out is not effective or does not apply. We have already used it and it catches him off guard and makes him focus on the chore at hand and he forgets what the fit was about or what he was whining over.

1 comment:

Candie said...

I'm totally with you... the disapline for 3 year olds has to change! I haven't figured out how yet, but maybe we'll try this. Thanks for the idea.