About Me

My photo
I am a stay at home mom who finds little snippets of time to craft and create.

Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Monday, October 31, 2011

Lentil sprouts - Day 81


                     Day 1                                                                                                       Day 4
















 

I went to a preparedness fair a few years ago and got an attachment to make a canning jar into a sprout maker. It has taken me forever to figure out what I wanted to do with it, but finally I have done it! What you do is take the plastic grid from the craft dept. and cut it to fit the lid of the jar and viola! It is super easy. I took dry lentils, about 1/4 cup, and place into the jar. Fill it all the way up and let it soak 24 hrs. Then strain the water out and put it in a dark place. I keep mine under my kitchen sink. Every morning when I go to get my dish washing detergent I see the jar and remember to fill it up and dump it out. I do this a few times and put it back. After a few days I have yummy sprouts to eat! Did you know that an average person needs 40-50g of protein a day and lentil sprouts give us 10g! That is extremely high for a plant.  If you also have other protein veggies in the same meal, you may get all your protein in one sitting! Who new!

No comments: