About Me

My photo
I am a stay at home mom who finds little snippets of time to craft and create.

Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Sunday, September 25, 2011

Rainbow cake - Day 45

For the past month whenever you asked Ben what he wanted for his birthday he would reply: "Rainbow." I told him I would make him a rainbow cake for his birthday and I guess it stuck. So today I am going to tell you how I made a six layer rainbow!

I used  4 Pillsbury brand white cake mix and 4 white frosting tub. Mix two cake mixes first. I then measured the cake batter from two mixes into three equal parts. It comes to a little more than 2 1/2 cups each. Then I mixed food coloring into the three parts. Red, Orange, Yellow according to the food coloring box. I think it was 50 red, 50 yellow and then 16 red, 24 yellow for the orange.

Then I baked them according to the box. While those were baking, I mixed up the other two boxes of cake mix, divided that into three parts and added food coloring: green, blue and purple. When the first three were done I pulled them out and turned them over to cool. I did the same thin to the other three when they were finished.

Ok, so you have to wait till the layers are nice and cool. Then you flip them back over and take a long bread knife and cute the round tops off. Now it is assembly time. Make sure the first layer you place on your cake stand is Purple! We are working up the rainbow backwards. Slather on some frosting so it looks level. Add the blue layer and repeat. Make sure the edges are lining up so you don't end up with a leaning tower of rainbow. Repeat until all layers have been added. Then cover the entire surface with frosting. I had a long frosting knife for pastry making and it worked great. I with it had been about 3 in longer though. I put the cake in the fridge when I was done for the frosting so set. I had no problems and everything turned out great! I had a friend make one a few weeks prior and she said she used the off brand and she didn't like the way it turned out. I had nice big layers with mine and they were fluffy! I love making things no matter the medium!









No comments: