About Me

My photo
I am a stay at home mom who finds little snippets of time to craft and create.

Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Monday, July 23, 2012

Reusable sandwhich bag two ways - Day 347

I hate going to somewhere quiet and the boys need their snack. Then the plastic interrupts the quiet. So I like to use fabric bags that are reusable. Eco friendly too! So I found three scraps of green fabric and some tan for the inside. I wanted to make three for when the new baby comes, and since I don't know if it is a boy or girl, green is neutral! So since the tan fabric I had was limited I just cut it into three equal parts and then cut the pretty fabric to match. You can make them as big or small as you want.


I reused zippers from other clothes, cause I hate throwing away zippers and buttons.

Version 1- Take the zipper and lay it upside down on the short side of the fabric, with the teeth facing toward the middle. Use a zipper foot so you can sew as close to the zipper feet as possible.

One side done!

Repeat on the other side. So when you are finished the fabric is inside out and the sipper top is also.


Switch back to the regular presser foot. Unzip the zipper and sew the side seams. Stop sewing when your presser foot touches the beginning of a zipper.

This is what it looks like.

Sew the sides of the inside fabric.

Fold the top down 1/4 in.

Turn the outside fabric(pretty) right side out. Slip the inside pocket in and pin all the way around. Make sure not to put it so close to the zipper feet, then you won't be able to zip.

This is the finished project!

Version 2- Sand which the top and bottom layer with the zipper in the middle. Make sure the zipper top is facing the pretty fabric. Use the zipper foot.

This is what it looks like.

Repeat that step with the other side. So when you hold it up you should have the top of the zipper attached to the pretty fabric and the bottom to the inside fabric.


Sew up the sides making sure to stop before the zipper just like the first version. Repeat on all sides.


Turn right side out through the little space you left between the zipper.

Stuff the inside fabric into the pretty pocket. Sew around the top next to the zipper.

Flip the bag inside out and pinch the corner. Sew across the bottom to make a flat bottom.


I finished two bags and then got tired. They look so cute and the boys loved them. Church was very quiet during snack time.

1 comment:

Michelle C said...

You're so environmentally friendly!! I still use ziplocs.