About Me

My photo
I am a stay at home mom who finds little snippets of time to craft and create.

Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Monday, July 16, 2012

Grocery bag keeper - Day 340

When we moved into our house we inherited a few things like our Harvest Gold appliances from the 60's, turquoise tigers stripe paint with gold flecks, and ugly kitchen decor. The only thing I kept from the decor was the plastic grocery bag holder. I decided today I wanted to make my own. I used left over fabric from the kitchen apron I made a few weeks ago.  

 Ugly inst it?

 The first thing I did was to stretch out the bottom elastic to figure out the measurements. 

It comes out to 18 in x 15 in. it is wider than it is taller.

I wanted to use three different fabrics, so I divided the measurements between the three. They won't be exact, but I didn't care. Then you sew the seams so you have one big rectangle.


 Next you will want to cut two strips of small elastic to 10 in.

I also added a little piece of fabric on the bottom so it will ruffle. I didn't measure, but you hem the bottom and sew to the big rectangle. 

Ok, so take your elastic and pin the ends at each end. Then stretch it flat and put a pin in the middle. 


When you sew, stretch the elastic so it lays flat.

This is what it looks like when you are finidhed.


Follow the same steps for the top, except there won't be a ruffle, but a hem. 

This is what it looks like after the elastic. 

Sew the side seam from top to bottom. 

I added a little ball accessory to the top seam and Ric-rac as a loop at the top to hang it with. 


 Isn't it so cute?!!!

1 comment:

Michelle C said...

That's so fun!! I have meant to make one for years!! Love that fabric.