About Me

My photo
I am a stay at home mom who finds little snippets of time to craft and create.

Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Monday, December 19, 2011

DIY chalboard paint - Day 129

So this is a post about how to make your own chalkboard paint. I used this method for the window redo yesterday. It is so simple. I picked up a paint sample from Home depot in the Martha Stewart area. They are 1 cups worth of paint in each jar and only cost $1!!!! So with this method you can use any paint. Keep in mind there is no dark colored chalk, so the darker the paint the better. I chose a charcoal grey. I know the pic doesn't look grey, but it isn't quite black. The other ingredient you use is White dry Non-sanded grout. Like the stuff you would use to put tile down. I found it in the tile section and it was a huge box for $5. It will probably last me forever! 

Before


Ok so you add 2 TBSP of  the grout for every one cup. Since the paint samples come in 1 cup it works perfectly. I poured the paint into a plastic bowl and measured in the grout. I mixed it with the measuring spoon I used, but you don't have to. You mix it till it looks good. It will still be a little bumpy and it thickens up REALLY fast. Like with in an hour it gets hard to use. You slather it on whatever you want and I found the sponge brushes work the best to spread it on and get all the bumps out. Then you let it dry. You just have to wait till it is really dry before you draw on it. You can paint it on anything! If it is a slippery surface just sand it before hand and you should be good to go! I bet once you start you will be addicted! It is so fun!





No comments: