About Me

My photo
I am a stay at home mom who finds little snippets of time to craft and create.

Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Hummus... I'm eating hummus - Day 89

I have struggled with finding a great hummus recipe and instruction and finally youtube prevails.

Roasted red pepper Hummus

Ingredients

  • 1 red bell pepper 
    Click to see savings
  • 2 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice 
    Click to see savings
  • 1 tablespoon tahini (sesame seed paste)
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper 
    Click to see savings
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt 
    Click to see savings
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1 (19-ounce) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained
  • 1 garlic clove, quartered

Preparation

  • Preheat broiler.
  • Cut bell pepper in half lengthwise; discard seeds and membranes. Place pepper halves, skin sides up, on a foil-lined baking sheet; flatten with hand. Broil 10 minutes or until blackened.  Peel.
  • Place bell pepper and remaining ingredients in a food processor; process until smooth.
  • Add water to help it move along and keep adding the water until it reaches a whipped thickness. It helps get the lumps out the more liquid.





Hummusingredients

 Finished product


Tahini: Take 1.2 cup regular sesame seeds (I found them at a local imports store)  and 8 tsp of little olive oil and heat them on the stove a few minutes on high till they start "popping". Place into a blender and make smooth. Add olive oil to help it blend. Maybe even a little water. It needs to be really thin. 
 Sesame seeds



Blended Tahini- this picture was before I added more liquid


1 comment:

Michelle C said...

I have made hummus quite a few times and I'm never happy with it. Although most recipes do call for tahini I have always tried recipes with out it. I saw the tahini paste only at price cutter and it was like $10 for the small jar. I just couldn't do it!