About Me

My photo
I am a stay at home mom who finds little snippets of time to craft and create.

Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Friday, August 19, 2011

Composting - Day 8

I have started to compost for my little garden it is so easy! I use a little plastic tote that I have drilled holes into the top lid. I painted little creatures on the top and the words "Feed me".

The benefits to composting are great:

  • Cheaper than chemical fertilizer
  • Gradually releases nutrients
  • Reduces disposal fees
  • Diverts waste from the landfill
  • Less stressful on roots
  • Loosens soil
  • Allows roots to spread out widely, preventing erosion
  • Retains water like mulch
  • Accelerates nutrient cycling
  • Reduces oil dependence
  • Sustainable improvement to the soil
  • Reduced run-off and water pollution
  • Reduced irrigation bill
  • It is fun for the kids to put things in the bin

  • The magic about composting is the ratio.

    "Scientists (yes, there are compost scientists) have determined that the fastest way to produce fertile, sweet-smelling compost is to maintain a C:N ratio somewhere around 25 to 30 parts carbon to 1 part nitrogen, or 25-30:1. If the C:N ratio is too high (excess carbon), decomposition slows down. If the C:N ratio is too low (excess nitrogen) you will end up with a stinky pile."

    Here is a chart to help you.

    Estimated Carbon-to-Nitrogen Ratios
    Browns = High Carbon C:N
    Ashes, wood 25:1
    Cardboard, shredded 350:1
    Corn stalks 75:1
    Fruit waste 35:1
    Leaves 60:1
    Newspaper, shredded 175:1
    Peanut shells 35:1
    Pine needles 80:1
    Sawdust 325:1
    Straw 75:1
    Wood chips 400:1
    Greens = High Nitrogen C:N
    Alfalfa 12:1
    Clover 23:1
    Coffee grounds 20:1
    Food waste 20:1
    Garden waste 30:1
    Grass clippings 20:1
    Hay 25:1
    Manures 15:1
    Seaweed 19:1
    Vegetable scraps 25:1
    Weeds 30:1

    Here is a link with the perfect recipe for a compost bin

    So what I use in my bin is all "Goopy garbage" (meaning food from the house that you would feed to a pig), and I get a weekly newspaper add that I cut up and put in. During the fall I put leaves in, and in the summer I use grass clippings. Because of the holes in the top, when it rains it gets moisture. You are also supposed to mix the contents weekly and my bin is small enough that I just lift it a give it a good shake, rattle and roll.

    Good luck and have fun making dirt!

    1 comment:

    Michelle C said...

    It's more technicial than I thought. (: