About Me

My photo
I am a stay at home mom who finds little snippets of time to craft and create.

Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Monday, March 19, 2012

Shirt re-fashion - Day 221

I found this long sleeve shirt at Target last week and thought, "It is too hot out for long sleeves." Then I had an idea. I will make it long sleeves and doctor it up a bit. The shirt cost me $3.60.



                 Before                                                                                                   After




I cut the sleeves off where I wanted them. I like the half sleeve look.

Then I stitched two rows around the sleeve bottom. It won't fray, but I wanted a little finished look without hemming it.


Then I turned it inside out and cut elastic half the length from the armpit down.

I didn't want rouching to start right at my pit or end at the end of the shirt, so I chose the very middle with equal parts on either side of the pins. You can figure out where to pin it, by pulling the elastic taught. You don't want it to it's max stretch, just where you want it to run on the shirt.

When you are sewing it to the shirt, you have to pull it tight just before it goes under the pressure foot.

Loose
 

Tight

This is what it looks like when you are done.


This is right side out.

I cut up the rest of the sleeves into 1" strips and sewed them together at the ends. Then I ran a stitch down the center. Then ruffled it. To ruffle you sew a strait line and cut the ends when you are done. Find the bottom thread and pull. It will ruffle and you move the ruffle down the strip.

Finished neckline

Back

Finished product.
I made this shirt to match a skirt that I will post about tomorrow. Check back for a full length picture with this shirt!

1 comment:

Michelle C said...

I LOVE this shirt. The complete outfit was SO adorable. Such great ideas. I wondered how to do the touching. I have some maternity shirts that really would look better with it. Such a great tutorial. It seems very doable!!