About Me

My photo
I am a stay at home mom who finds little snippets of time to craft and create.
Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Sunday, July 6, 2008

Wonderful world of wisdom teeth


So for about three years I have been needing to get my wisdom teeth removed. The insurance that the school offers doesn't cover dental at all. So I kept putting it off and it got to be painful. My jaw has a click and would get stuck so I had to adapt. I couldn't chew gum or tough meat. one of my wisdom teeth came through the skin and that was way painful. So anyways I am now pregnant and on Medicaid, which covers dental. So I went to the dentist and had some cavities filled. I asked if they could take them out and they said that yes they could and I should. So July 3rd was the date. I planned it for that day because we had the fourth off and would give me more recovery time. I kept asking people about their experiences with removing their teeth. I heard so many horror stories that I was expecting to be out for a week. I tried to get ahead on my homework so that I could miss some days the following week. So I was so ready the day of. I had Daniel drop me off and they got started right away. They numbed the skin with numbing cream and then got started poking my mouth with needles filled with Novocaine. This part was a little intense. They numbed my entire mouth so I felt like I had a big fat lip. He started on my left side. Because they were out of the skin and close to the surface it took about 5 seconds and both slipped right out! Literally 5 seconds and they were out! Then he moved to the right side. The bottom one had a little pressure and the top one took a little pulling and pressure, but they were both out with in a few minutes. I have stitches in the bottom two and have to go back in a week. The dentist said that two things determine your recovery: how much pressure he used and how long it took. So I was peachy keen! Because I was pregnant they could only prescribe tylenol. I have not had a ton of pain and I am eating close to normal. It is a little sore and the worst part was trying to sleep the first night. I am a side and stomach sleeper, and I couldn't do either. I never experienced swelling very much wither. I would have to say that this was the best worst experience of my life thus far. Labor I hope will be just as easy!

6 comments:

{Steve and Amanda} said...

You were awake when they took them out? They took all four of mine out in one day and I wasn't pregnant, so I was totally out and it was hilarious waking up. I kept telling my mom I could walk and when she let go I would veer over and almost fall. Well I am glad that it is going well for you. I was too afraid to ask people their experience. I remember craving good food, and candy ( I got mine out on Halloween). Not an experience I would ever want to go through again.

Lynette said...

I need to get my wisdom teeth out eventually. They are all the way out and they don't hurt or anything. They are just annoying. Glad to hear you made it through ok!

Michelle C said...

I'm so glad it went well too!! It was such a fun weekend being able to hang out a lot! Love the picture (:

Rachel said...

wow. great picture! lol. LOL! I know what you mean abou tdental insurance, no one covers that. annoying. But, since Derek is in dental school here I get everything done free, thats nice I suppose. I still need all four of mine out!!!

Rebekah said...

I am glad it went so well for you! You are probably a lot smarter than I am and didn't go camping the weekend after... in February... yes I am sure you are smarter than I am.

Johnston Journal said...

I would love some shears... 2 pair. I can paypal u the money or send u a check,,, whats better for u?