About Me

My photo
I am a stay at home mom who finds little snippets of time to craft and create.
Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Saturday, July 9, 2011

My life in crafts

I thought I would share some of the things I have been up to lately!

I decided to make my own laundry soap. Here is the recipe. I did it a little different: I added the grated soap into a pot of boiling water and it melted wonderfully. I also stored the extra gallons of soap in old milk jugs. I only used 1/8 if not less of the ingredients so this one purchase will last me a whole year. Oh and it doesn't smell once all mixed together and you can do dry or liquid versions. The dry version may clump up a bit, so that is my I chose the liquid. You can use it in the new washing machines too.
Ingredients cost: $10
Melting the grated bar soap in boiling water
Mixing all ingredients in a 5 gallon pail

My sister in law Michelle gave me the supplies to make my own Deceleration of Independence. I tried to burn the edges and did way too much, so I had to re-do it. You dye it in black tea. I didn't burn the edges, but I did use ink to darken some spots and crinkled it up.

Tea in a cookie sheet

I have seen these everywhere and LOVE them, so I painted my own. I printed the state on four papers. Painted stripes using masking tape. Traced the state with pencil and painted it in. I hung it in the boys room so they can learn where they live. I am working on a world or country map next.

I made my curtain "Rods" out of pallet wood and old spoons. I drilled through the spoons and nailed them to the wood. I LOVE how they turned out.

Butterfly jars. I cut the butterflies out on my cricut and made the jars look like a bug jar.
Butterfly frame. Same method but really tiny. The frame is like 2x3

FHE board. I started this when I was preggo with Ben and didn't know how to finish it until I saw the vintage knobs.

Vacation wall board. One day it will be full of vacation jars and pictures.

My mother in law gave me wooden apples and I painted them. They will be toys to play with in the car.

Mail catch. I saw this in a store and made my own version.

Old gold lamp into new silver one. Need help with the shade though. Ideas?

Finials I found and painted white. I aged them and placed old vintage jars that I found under my house when we bought it. There are two finials.

I inherited these old jello molds from my granny and made them into a chandelier in my dining room!

Fun vinyl in my dining room

Pallet wood made into a canvas. I painted a silhouette of a horse. It is above Ben's bed.

Old window made into a memo board in boys room

The photographer who took our wedding photos has had this hanging in her window for 5 years. When she switched them out she gave them to us. I had a frame that was a little too long, so I painted my favorite quote under it. "le prix d'amour c'est seulement amour" Translation: the price of love is simply love. I need a ribbon at the seam and maybe paint the frame? Ideas?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow! You have been busy!!
If you have left overs I'd love some cricut letters for my FHE board! I need an A, G, J, Q, but my board has 7 tags! I'll ask u what u think! Wish u could come over and hangout one day!

ALYN said...

Love it! Especially love the spoon curtain rod, and the chandelier, and the Missouri map...

Makes me want to see your house is person. Amazing. I'd love to see where you end up hanging the MO map, and I'd love to see some closeups on the spoons and chandelier. I might have to "pin"terest you! : )

{Steve and Amanda} said...

So cute! You are so crafty I love everything, especially the spoon curtains.
Here's a website that has some cute ideas for lamps:
http://www.u-createcrafts.com/2011/07/julys-create-with-me-projectlamp.html

Michelle C said...

So cute. I love the state of missouri painting! I still have to make the soap. I'm excited to do it. Have you used it on your clothes yet?

Sally said...

Just came across your blog tonight. I love how you did your curtains with the spoons, very clever.

Michelle C said...

I'm going to grate my own soap since I have time to make it today and I won't see you for a while. Thank you for offering to grate a bar for me though. (: