About Me

My photo
I am a stay at home mom who finds little snippets of time to craft and create.

Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Reusable gorcery bags - Day 7



I love grocery shopping day. When I get home I usually have a TON of plastic bags and I save some of them for odd jobs, but I usually have half left over that I just throw away.

I decided to try out using re-usable bags. I have purchased a few over the years and received a few for free. I felt so responsible using them today. I stored all of the bags in one and put that under the cart so the boys can't destroy them. They worked fabulous! I have a few heavy duty ones from T.J.Maxx that they put all the really heavy stuff in. I didn't need to make 10 trips to the car to unload either. They try and stuff them as full as they can. I hate it when you get one bag with just crackers in it. I think it is a huge waste. Put it on top of a heavy item that didn't fill the bag. I mean really, it is not that hard! {Trust me I was a bagger for years}

Oh and don't forget the perks of having personalized bags that can be oh so cute! I have one zebra print, one Paris, and one toy story. You can make your own too.

So I thought I would leave you with some inspirational facts about plastic bags.
  • Plastic bags and other plastic garbage thrown into the ocean kill as many as 1,000,000 sea creatures every year.
  • Recycling plastic saves twice as much energy as burning it in an incinerator.








4 comments:

Rachel said...

I saw on some show that the dirtiest thing you can have in your house is a reusable grocery bag, cuz think of where it's been?! So, now I try to wash mine pretty frequently. But I DO love how you can put tons in there.

Michelle C said...

I really need to invest in more. I always use them at Aldi in Springfield since they don't have any plastic bags. My only trouble is that I seem to use the extra plastic bags for so many things. I guess I use it a lot to carry things in my car, but I have a lot of real bags, so I don't know why I don't just use those. I guess we could just use a reuseable bag to put our wet swimming suits in. Also, we use them for Tyler's poopy diapers since we don't have a diaper pail, but I'm going to potty train him next week. We'll see how it goes. Then I would have eliminated every need for the plastic bags. So did you slowly hand the reusable bags to the cashier as they needed one or how did you coordinate that??

Michelle C said...

Another question - what about the plastic bags in the produce department that you put lettuce, apple, etc. in??

Johnston Journal said...

I LOVE mine! Use them constantly! I also use my 31 bags for the grocery store, the thermal bags for frozen foods and the large utility tote for Sam's Club. It is WONDERFUL!